Day 45, End of the trail, Seaside, OR

Sunday July 12, 2020, 54 miles (87 km) - Total so far: 2,464 miles (3,965 km)

So many thoughts, so many emotions.

I've never attempted anything this big and this far before, and it's a little too early to ask: Would you do it again? All I know is I finished and I cried.

I left Clatskanie around 7:30, what would be a late start. I had to time the end to coordinate with a few schedules. I began in misty rain, typical for that elevation and biosphere, a Pacific Northwest forest. My rain pants and shoes collected road grit. I ate a small snack and continued on to Astoria--another biosphere now closer to the coast. I actually thought I'd made it to the ocean as I saw big vessels parked off the shore of the Columbia, but a 93-year -old walker told me we were only at the mouth of the river. The coast was further west.

After passing under the impressive Astoria bridge I was on the famous highway 101 upon which I crossed over a long causeway to a point where Lewis and Clark had a winter camp, Fort Clapsop. I wonder how they felt: achieving the Pacific, but knowing they had to turn around and go back over it all again. But that was the point, they had to report their findings.

I traveled down the 101. No issues of wind, no mountains. Just a ride. Sherida had the majority of my stuff in her car. It almost felt too easy, a little guilty. I had grown used to struggle. I GPSed turnaround Seaside so that I was headed to the Lewis and Clark "End of the Trail" monument.

I texted after turning off the highway, On my way. The vibe was that of a busy vacation town at the height of the season, crowds of people, ice cream, and fudge shops--except this year everyone wearing masks. I saw the flag pole at the end of the congested street and tried to ride around cars and traffic lights I was so excited. At the end--and this was something I'd always imagined but never experienced, such as when finishing my JOGLE or writing a book: a group of people cheering and waving signs. Well, not so much a group, but Sherida and her son. She videoed me rolling in. I asked for a hug and cried. Then a few curious onlookers approached and congratulated me. I'm sure they were skeptical: Where's all her stuff? Shouldn't she look more exhausted? Where's Sacagawiah?

I'd had in mind to dedicate my ride to Mike Borden a friend who had passed away the end of 2019, he and his wife were always on an adventure. He lived life with a crazy smile and laugh. Many miles I spent thinking of them and her sudden loss, and the emptiness she is now feeling. He was there. I held up a sign as Sherida snapped pictures: For Mike Borden.

Then Marvin and his daughter showed up. Remember that interview in Selby, SD with the editor of a small-town newspaper. Marvin and his wife subscribe to the Sebly Record and had read about my ride. He'd contacted me about giving me a copy of the story and pics at the end for Karen, the editor. So we did that and chatted. Talking about those days of horrific wind made me want to cry all over again.

Finally after all the pictures, etc Sherida said what do you think of the ocean? It was almost an afterthought. Finishing was the goal. We bought clam chowder and sat on the beach. Sand blew into my eyes. But, I'd done it.

I texted and called a bunch of people.

Soon after we left to head back to Portland where I was to meet my daughter driving up from Eugene. End of the trail. Family.

I will post later some final thoughts/stats/round up.

starting out in mist

several intercoastal ranges

in eastern Astroia saw these big shipping vessals

architecture reflects early cannery history

big bridge in Astoria, where I begin a turn to the sea

famous coast road

causeway to mainland



dedicated my trip to Mike Borden

Lewis and Clark Monument at turnaround "End of the Trail"--it certainly was for me

me holding up the Seby Record with me on the front page!

at the END with Sherida and Jabin

Marvin Vandervelden and his daughter who met me at the end with a copy of the Selby Record

Comments