Day 43, Cascade Lock to Gresham, OR

Friday July 10, 2020, 38 miles (61 km) - Total so far: 2,350 miles (3,782 km)

So look . . .thank you to everyone following and commenting through the guestbook. Jonathan I did not see your input until now, after the fact. In fact last night the groundskeeper also said the same thing: historic route 30 AND Columbia River trail all closed. I kind of didn't want to believe it. So set out at 7, rode around the first barrier, a bit of caution tape already ripped. Then got to the stairs where I hauled everything up. Still on trail toAinsworth State Park, where the mother of all signs came out. Stop. We will shoot. Almost. The sign said you are trespassing, you will be evicted, you will have an ordinance written out. You are under surveillance. We have cameras. The law will find you. Again, I rode around the sign. But after a mile my heart was not happy. I turned around and got on Interstate 84, for 22 miles. I thought: I'm saving a stretch for the "next" time. I knew it was going to be beautiful and great, but not for now. Later.

I made it to Troutdale around 10:30, too early to call my host. So I phoned a friend from way way back. I used to ride my bike to his terrarium shop back in Centerville, Ohio. He now has a terrarium shop in Portland. I thought it might be fun to ride in and see him, but with Covid I wasn't sure. I phoned and we talked. He told me he lived in Damascus where I'm staying tonight. So I decided to at least ride to Gresham. No point going to Portland when the folks I want to see are southeast of there.

Recuperating with liquids, food, and bath. Plan for the end forthcoming.

starting to see signs for Portland


Mike and Sherida in Damascus, OR

well-stocked snacks in my guest room

visiting with Gregg Harris, owner of Roosevelt's Terrariums in Portland, OR

Comments