Day 34: Success! Achieved Missoula


gopher or prairie dog

Wednesday July 1, 2020, 90 miles (145 km) - Total so far: 1,776 miles (2,858 km)


Soooo, woke up early. I was ready. I wanted to go; let's do this thing.

I've had several mornings where I've breathed a sigh of relief because the winds were light--only to have them turn on me seconds later. I started with light winds and they stayed that way until 1 pm.

It was MOSTLY down. The few ups were manageable. I made Ovando by 8:30. There were several smaller stops: Clearwater, Potomac, where I refreshed. I was going along at a clip. I was in Bonner a nice town maybe 7 miles from Missoula by 1:30. I was maybe at 73, 74 miles and was slowing down. A wafer bar break, take off tights, check phone. After Milltown Google put me onto the highway.

Now I'm not surprised. It was a combo route made up of US 15, 200, and I think 83. The kicker is there was road work, thereby reducing 4 lanes of separated highway to two lanes, side-by-side. I had a berm, but it was FULL of crap. I expected punctures. PLUS, yes more stress, besides traffic moving feet from me there were 2 pinch points, where because of Clark Fork River, I lost the berm completely. I rode up to the choke point, waited for a break and moved out taking the lane--the ONLY lane. If someone wanted to be weird they totally could. I made it through both times. I was at 81, 82 miles. You see my odometer stopped, probably hinked by stuff on the berm.

I exited at Van Haven and made a left onto a bike path. Yes, this is Missoula, a bike friendly city. I took bike paths almost all the way to my host's house. Bill at that moment stepped out onto his porch and greeted me. We talked for a moment and then he set about helping me get to Adventure Cycling Headquarters. There I had my pic taken and was given a 6-month free membership. She also gave me an ice cream novelty. What it really represented was little Janie's high school dream, to do this trip. I remembered that person. And, I was faithful to her.

After that we cycled back with Steve who we met at ACA. He's also staying here tonight. After a bit of bike maintenance and air pump action, Steve offered to buy dinner.

It is way past my normal bedtime. I have so many questions answered, snacks for tomorrow, and so much more. The friendliness extended to me, a stranger.

5 cyclists total heading East, and 1 west=number of encounters. Beth at ACA said by this time last year they'd had over 200 cyclists come through, this so far 27.

started off into some fog, but nothing like the day before when visibility was worse


began following the Blackfoot River

Comments