Day 31, Great Falls to Wolf Creek: Chugging along

Sunday June 28, 2020, 55 miles (89 km) - Total so far: 1,657 miles (2,667 km)

This morning Laurie mused out loud, What if I drove you to Lincoln? One) I am a soft touch for the ride, but she was ALREADY driving me to Great Falls. (See! I didn't want to sacrifice itinerary by taking days off the saddle, so that's why they picked me up and dropped me off.) Two) Lincoln would be perfect because I'd get ahead itinerary-wise and skip having to exert on the elevation, but I sort of wanted to go over Rogers Pass and the Continental Divide. Three) weather for the next three days is supposed to be crappy. I told her no.

So glad because today's ride despite the forecast of rain will forever live in my memory. I dedicated it to Mike Borden who died suddenly this past winter. He was a great guy and taken much too early. He and Diane had walked the El Camino in Spain and she wants to return again. I thought about Mike today because I really am lucky to have the health and opportunity to do this trip.

When I get home I will populate the blog with pictures, but until then believe me, riding through the canyon today, the Missouri river on one side mountains all around me was so cool. I took a frontage road from near GF airport all the way. It was fairly level, nothing strenuous. I rode 55 miles in 5 hours. The wind was slightly at my back. It was simply a beautiful ride.

Along the way I passed pullouts for camping, by the river. I passed angler camps and lodges, bars and restaurants that said welcome hunter/fishermen. I had found via Google and maps a campground in Wolf Creek. Nonexistent. The place had an abandoned motel, gas station, two bars. No one could give me info on camping. Finally one of the bars said Wolf Creek Angler had RV spots and rooms. It was not out of the way, maybe a mile from my route tomorrow.

Reception said no camping left and if interested I could get the last room. It is supposed to rain tonight and I wanted to pack up dry. Yes. He quoted a price higher than what I've paid so far, but once in the room I checked the receipt and saw he actually came down. I think he was impressed I'd cycled here from Chicago. It was starting to get cold, since it was overcast. The whole day I'd worn both my long sleeve shirts.

I planned to run down to the store for a can of soup or something, but I heard what sounded like sleet on the bathroom window. Soooo. Thinking of eating as much of my emergency food to lighten the load. Word from the front desk guy is that 434 is windy, lot of up and down, not too much truck traffic, definitely some elevation gain. Then on 200 first 4 miles fairly level then a continual climb to the pass. Forecast at the top, high 30s, wet snow. Definitely 100% chance of showers. Also truck traffic and no verge. Send prayers, good vibes. As the guy told me, if at any point going up I have to bail, I might have to put out my thumb. He thought it wouldn't be impossible for someone to haul me over.

I have good rain gear, tights, shirts, no gloves but can wear socks over my hands. Also wool socks for my feet. I'm really hoping to ride regardless the weather tomorrow. The room I'm in is small but homey. The heat is on. I've got on long underwear and a wool shirt and having a hot tea. Outside the anglers are arriving from off the river.













I loved the carpet of colors in this field, not sure what was being grown


Comments