Day 44, Portland to Clatskanie

Saturday July 11, 2020, 60 miles (97 km) - Total so far: 2,410 miles (3,879 km)

All the towns on my route today were either Indian names like Scappoosa, Clatskanie or names of mountains like Ranier, St. Helen's. Also majorly closed due to Covid. For example, finding a restroom. You can pass all the MacDonalds and Subways you want but they are only drive-thru. Gas stations for 10 miles had no public restroom.

I left Portland around 9 a.m. under sunny skies and was passed by many day riders. Without my full load I was flying. About 16 mph. After St. Helen's the little towns got further apart. I ride almost 20 miles to Ranier, where I eat and drink up in anticipation of a big climb. It is almost 800 feet in 3 stages, so not too bad. Plus it is now overcast and temps are in the 70s. In fact with the leaden skies and cottonwood duff coming down, it looked and felt like snow.

I made it to Clatskanie around 3:00, a little chilled, where--ta da--I've taken a hotel room. Not an emergency one, but a victory lap room. I hated paying so much for it, but I wanted to leave some gear with Sherida as it was decided she would meet me at Seaside on Sunday. So with that in mind, I only packed and brought along what would be needed for one night. But then the plan evolved.

Sherida commented, saying the price of the room I was quoted was cheap. She'd just checked rates thinking they might spend a night at the coast and was seeing rooms for $300. Which gave me the idea, Drive up later on Saturday and stay in my room which has 2 queen beds. I called the hotel clerk and they said two extra people was just $10 more. Now it really feels like a celebration. Sherida will bring up some snacks. We'll get to finish all the stories we started, and they can get to the coast and enjoy the water, beach while I finish the ride. It was always my dream to have someone at the end congratulating me, like some Olympian hero. Also this way I can sort of give back to her for all the kind offers of picking me up and bringing me back to Portland so that I can rendezvous with my daughter who is driving up from Eugene.

I am now starting to imagine the end, also sad to return to the "normal" world of Covid. It was lonelier than riding day after day by myself.


Comments