Day 33, Lincoln, MT

Tuesday June 30, 2020, 20 miles (32 km) - Total so far: 1,686 miles (2,713 km)

This a.m. blue and white checkered skies. What a relief! In the patches of sunshine I placed my shoes, wet wool socks, and soaked bicycling gloves. Just to try to warm them up.

I took my time, hoping things warmed up. Made tea and mashed potatoes to eat. I left somewhat dry.

I write a lot about the weather, I guess because it is always at me. So I definitely felt lucky starting out. There were some climbs on 434, but also rewarding downhills. About 45 minutes in I noticed wind, maybe 10-13. I remembered why I was hell-bent yesterday to try--winds were from the north and east--perfect for riding, just not for a storm system that parked.

So I got to highway 200 at 10 miles and the full force of the wind was in my teeth. I struggled going DOWNHILL. At one point I was in my 3rd gear, my climbing gear just to pedal down. I wondered if getting into the mountains I might get a break from them, some protection. Truck traffic was sporadic, but OVERSIZE loads passed right next to me.

As I climbed the winds increased, channelled through the pass. Truthfully there was a lot of level and even downhill to the approach. After about 6 miles I was coning up to what I felt was going to be the big climb.

I REALLY wanted to do this, but wind was an issue. I was at a chain up area and straddled the bike and put out my thumb. I knew the right person would come along. But it took maybe half an hour. I was cooling off as the wind blew and clouds rolled over.

A truck passed and pulled into the chain up area. I rode down to them. Becky was a young mom with 3 kids. Gabe the oldest helped me load the bike in the bed. She said she stopped because i was a woman and because of the weather coming in.

What weather? I thought. But going to the top of the pass , the clouds lowered and it began misting. She had a guage, it was 40-some degrees. Wow, that was fast.

On the other side it was cooler and rainy. The road narrowed. So glad for the ride. Way safer. Becky dropped me off in Lincoln. The ride took less time than I waited. Immediately i was struck by the chill. Here it was 45, overcast and misting.

I went to get some hot breakfast and regroup after the past few days. Lincoln is a great town, but will go toward Ovando.

(LATER)
So still here in Lincoln. I left the restaurant at about 12 noon. Plenty of time to get to Ovando. I thought it was 17 miles. But I passed a sign that read 27. Still do-able. It had stopped misting and was now raining. The west winds about 10 mph, so not bad, drove the rain into my face and eyes. It was only 45 degrees. Two miles down the road my jacket is soaked. I have my rear deflector blinking because visibility is poor. It looks like I'm riding into a Twin Peaks episode.

I hang out under an awning for half an hour. Conditions do not improve. I ride back (the wind is at my back and what a difference it makes; it doesn't even seem like it's raining) and pull into an RV park. Hmmm not exactly what I want, but walk into office which is shower house which has WiFi. I'm not getting connectivity in Lincoln at all. So I go online to check weather, Google profile of route. Route is basically downhill and weather goes to 35% chance at 4 pm. I decide to chance it, but it rains again.

A sign advertises rooms for $50. Leepers is a cute, throw-back to Wisconsin cabins set in a park of large conifers. I'm at the point where I have been in wet socks and shoes for 6 hours. My toenails have grown soft. Reception promises a hot shower and boy that sounds great. I'm shivering.

I hate to keep stopping; I really want to get to Missoula. This feels a bit like my striving to get to Sioux City. I know if I load out early and leave when wind is calm, I can get there.



an example of how nice the day started before things changed

Comments