Day 38, Chief Timothy SP to Lewis and Clark SP

Sunday July 5, 2020, 67 miles (108 km) - Total so far: 2,090 miles (3,364 km)

Leaving the SP early, of course, I wanted to beat heat and wind. Almost immediately I began to climb. At first gradual, using my second gear, then things ramped up. Behind each rise was another behind it. I climbed for over 13 miles. Sunday traffic was light.

After descending I noticed traffic picking up, folks wanting to beat it home after the long holiday weekend. It was nothing but campers and trucks pulling boats, etc. At times I had a verge and at times it disappeared. Around noon I finished a breakfast sandwich bought in Pomeroy. I also made up a lemonade bottle. This was all very prescient for what was to come.

At 50 miles began another climb. Not sure but maybe 4 or 5 miles, after topping, I coasted into Dayton, WA. Covid is very much on people's minds. You are REQUIRED to wear a mask in stores. I have to get used to this instinct once again. In Dayton I was feeling a little sick, I think from the climbing and heat. I climbed over 3,000 feet total. I bought tonight's dinner (ravioli) and tomorrow's breakfast, donuts. There was a Subway so I got a sandwich and ate it by my bike outside.

About 5 miles to the SP, all down hill. Tomorrow is not a high mileage day nor a lot of climbing. I follow the Touchet River to Oregon to the Columbia River.

At this campground is one primitive campsite close to bathrooms, good water, a shower, and I've already had a dunk in the river.

the approach and summit over 13 miles, harder than Lolo Pass


Alpowa Summit (el. 2785 ft./849 m.) is a mountain pass in the state of Washington. The pass connects Pomeroy on the west with Clarkston on the east. The pass separates the Blue Mountains' foothills on the south with the rolling Palouse to the north.

It is traversed by U.S. Highway 12.

Pomeroy--who knew Washington was such a big agricultural state. It grows EVERYTHING.


next 6 days in this weird "barren" landscape



Comments