Day 40, Sand Station to Crow Butte State Park, to waterfront park, closed to Covid in North Roosevelt

Tuesday July 7, 2020, 43 miles (69 km) - Total so far: 2,205 miles (3,549 km)

For a thousand miles at least I forgot about Covid, not because it doesn't exist, but because it wasn't part of my world. My world is turning the pedals. So since entering Washington state I've been reminded. Masks are required in all stores and restaurants. And, because of Covid now I have to be aware that some campgrounds are closed.

I'm trying to get around this.

Last night I did not get good sleep. Winds really came up and I began to worry that I wouldn't make it to Seaside on Sunday. This a.m. broke came somewhat leisurely. The shore of the Columbia River is a sooty, black sand. It gets into everything, and there was seagull poop on my tent and other plastic. Plus the wind didn't help.

On the road I definitely was slowed down by the wind. I made Umatilla by 8 a.m. There was a grocery but it didn't carry the stuff I was looking for. I did restock on tortillas, crunchy, salty mix, and my drink packets. I also bought a couple yoghurts. I wanted a breakfast sandwich but the deli wasn't open and same at the gas station down the street. I went on knowing I'd cycle through a couple small towns. Well, one didn't exist and the other was a randomish truck, drive-thru place. Covid makes it hard because some places are closed and the open ones keep weird hours, drive up or appointment.

My plan for today was low mileage, arrive early to relax, shower, and eat lots of calories. Well . . . .

In Paterson, I got a healthy size take out meal. I had to eat it outside on a pickle bucket by the Dumpster. Their "convenience store" carried like 5 items. Crow Butte was 12 more miles and I was thinking ahead as towns with even just a gas station are 50 miles apart. I was forced to buy 2 cans (heavy). I had 2.5 bottles of water which should have lasted. But by now the wind was ripping. Atleast 20 - 30. And it didn't stop. It blew with the occasional gust.

I passed a cyclist heading East, boy was he getting a great ride. We stopped to chat and Rick said Crow Butte was closed. I was 9 miles away, with the wind an hour and a half. As I came upon it the road sign did not say closed. It did say park and RV. I rode a mile to the un-manned hut. Again all signage was about fees and no fireworks. I continued on in about another mile or more. I saw the day-use park and thought I'd hang there. I needed water as all the pushing into the wind had caused me to empty all my bottles. A guy told me where to go. He was the park caretaker and he told me under no circumstances could I stay or I'd be fined.

I felt in a bind. I'd worked so hard to get here. I walked down to the marina where 3 guys had loaded a boat and were about to drive away. I went up and asked for a ride to the next town where Rick, the passing cyclist had said there was city camping. These 3 guys were so chill. Yeah! We talked the entire 22 miles to North Roosevelt where the city park along the river is closed due to Covid. I didn't care. The wind is roaring as they let me out and I stealthily push in. After an hour another caretaker comes by and tells me it's closed. By now I've cleaned up and have spread out. I think I'm going to cry. It's hard to see a frazzled old lady cry. So Richard and I work out a plan. I will set up behind a building a little later. I'll be gone early. No one will know. There are bathrooms, running water, and maybe he said he'll turn on the electricity in the bathroom so I can charge overnight.

All day today I followed route 14, following the Columbia River, and train tracks. Tomorrow wind, but not like today. The Columbia was frothed up from the wind, roll on little whitecaps.

crossed the Columbia back into Washington

notice the whitecaps on the river, very windy day






Comments