Day 36, Lochsa Lodge to Koosia, ID

Friday July 3, 2020, 93 miles (150 km) - Total so far: 1,938 miles (3,119 km)

This a.m. temps in the low 40s. Brisk piney smell in the air. Birds twittering away in the trees.

Note: change of venue. After arriving at Powell Ranger Station campground, I was overwhelmed and probably a bit emotional. I pulled up to a perfect campsite, but a woman was holding it--but not sure. I waited to see. In the end they took it. I went to see the campground host for what was available by toilets. He teased me, I can't move the bathrooms. I said I understood, just trying to find a spot. A lot was already reserved for the weekend. Again he said, I can't move the bathrooms. I felt like crying. Are you inferring that I'm being pushy?. He sleeps in a self-contained camper and rides around on an ATV. I came on a bike with a quarter-dome tent.

Anyway, after setting up, I went off to the lodge to look for food and an ATM. At the general store were a bunch of old geezers gabbing. They told me to come camp for free, great access to bathrooms and clean water. I looked at my watch, it was already 7. Then they said it's 6, on Pacific time. I went back for my stuff.

Left the lodge at 6:30 a.m. and made Lowell, 66 miles, by noon. Kooskia is 23 more.
****

So made it to Kooskia and asked about camping. I was sent hither and yon. Anyway it was going to be an RV site on route 12 about 5 miles away. As I was riding and my odometer flipped into the 90s, I thought this is crazy, looking for camping this exhausted. I pulled into a 24-hour gas station/pawn shop/gun store. The guy said in Idaho you can camp free almost anywhere. I asked about behind the shop. He said, no, that's where I live, but just round the bend is a pull off. I said I'm on a bike, thinking it's not safe for me a solo woman to put a tent up beside the road. He said, you can go off the turn out. I imagined a private site by the river.

No, it was the first thing I thought. But I pushed my bike up a steep hill and set up at the top on level grass. I have water, food, and can look down on the river. Scary though, I have no connectivity, haven't for days. Tomorrow for sure must get a message to folks that I'm safe. Tomorrow another big push.

following the Clearwater River, beautiful







ever-changing population

starting to see these weird bread loaf mountains/hills still not sure

Comments