Day 5, Hills Access to Marengo, IA

Tuesday June 2, 2020, 47 miles (76 km) - Total so far: 270 miles (434 km)

Well, it didn't take long for my plan to blow up. Today could have been worse.

I knew it was going to be hot, hotter than yesterday. My plan was to be up and out early and get water and a breakfast sandwich at Casey's. The wind was strong, but I maintained. Still tired. Every one mile was like riding two. The first 15 miles were paved as I headed west, into the blustery wind. Then my directions put me on gravel. Again I maintained and found the hard dry spots--especially when climbing so that my rear wheel didn't slide.

I am an old lady, riding solo, so, yeah, I'm slow and careful. I took a bit of wrong turn and a young hog farmer gave me a 1.5 mile ride in his pick up to F52 Trail, paved. By now it was 10 a.m and getting hotter and windier. I haven't even done 20 miles.

In a little wayside town I pulled over. I was at 28 miles. The wind was killing me. I was wrecked. That's when I decided to go north. Go with the wind. A course change brings its own problems. I hadn't previewed anything and wasn't sure about road conditions or traffic. I saw I could get to Marengo along the Iowa River. I virtually flew up 149, taking frequent drink breaks. I was really feeling good, like Jane. I could actually ride up the hills and maintain 13 mph. But once I turned on West 6, again trouble keeping my bike on the road between the wind and trucks whooshing by. The furnace blast wind dried me out. I made it to a BP gas station and tried to figure out options.

There is a park in Marengo I might be able to stealth camp at, but it was supposed to thunderstorm tonight. Right next to the BP was one of those motor court motels. I went to the office and the lady said $55. I "splurged". Since I was going to have to come up with a new plan I may as well plug in to outlets and get charged up.

Weather for tomorrow is winds from the North and west, still fairly hot.





Comments