Day 21, Bismarck to Glen Ullim,ND: Finally met another L & C cyclist

Thursday June 18, 2020, 61 miles (98 km) - Total so far: 1,196 miles (1,925 km)

Yesterday when the mechanic fixed me up, he said the new rear cassette would give me more teeth in the climbing gears. Today I felt like a lion.

As per my MO,I struck out early, but not before stopping at a supermarket. I was surprised it was open so early. It is also the first grocery I've been in since Chicago that had more than 3 aisles. I bought some granola bars and am I glad. I needed that snacking power. The first 15 miles out of Bismarck and Mandan to old 10 were easy enough. But, then. The climbing started. Definitely feeling like the West. I climbed over 1.000 feet in 20 miles. Into 17 mph winds. What's weird is that I felt fine.

I was super hungry by the time I made it to New Salem, home of the world's biggest fiberglass Holstein to celebrate the town's dairy history. There was a GREAT small-town grocery there. They had prepared foods!! I bought some great cheese and hot chicken fingers. I ate them at the city park not far from the Holstein perched atop the hillside. I could have stayed. There was camping, electricity, a porto. I couldn't make up my mind. I made phone calls, sorted out a tent pole problem, arranged housing at Assumption Abbey in Richardton. It was only 2. I got back on the bike to smash out the last 20 to Glen Ullin. Well, that idea vanished with the pavement. I did 500 more feet of climbing on gravel. My neck and shoulders are stressed from trying to control the bike. Not a single vehicle passed me. So no chance of rescue. I made it to Glen Ullin in a drizzle, via a grocery store again for a can of soup to go with my great cheese and crackers. Camping is outside of town for $6.

Temps all day were in the mid60s. Right now in my tent 59. It will drop down to the 40s. After washing up from supper I came back to the tent area to find another cycle tourist. He is Jeremy from Canada staying for the time being in st. Louis. He is trying to do big miles each day. Tomorrow I stay at the Abbey where Kathleen Norris wrote Cloister Walk. I will have to buy cards for my friends.

Anyway. it gives me hope I'll meet other bikers.


 
Salem Sue, World's Largest Holstein Cow, New Salem, North DakotaHome

hmmm, "hostile"



Comments