Day 4, Bettendorf to Hills Access by the Iowa River

Monday June 1, 2020, 64 miles (103 km) - Total so far: 222 miles (358 km)

Today's miles were hard-fought. But first the good part.

I started at 8 a.m. under overcast skies. So no worries about heat or sun exposure, two things that rob me of energy. Temps have risen the past few days to high 80s, but I hear tomorrow it will reach 90. There was also some occasional pitter patter rain. Just like yesterday by mile 25 sore and achy. I want to get stronger as the trip goes on.

Today I had my doubts about . . . everything.

My Google direction took me off truck-traffic roads to quiet gravel. Which was okay at first. The first segment was approx 10 miles. There was wind that I estimated at 20 mph. Brisk and steady. I stopped at an old barn at mile 25 to eat and rest. After, the gravel kept going. Eventually on route 6 made it to West Liberty. I was at mile 45, with only 13 to go. I didn't bother to refill my water bottles.

Boy, did Google do me wrong. I was routed to 10 miles of loose gravel road. On top of that it was hilly, so almost impossible to gear down and get up as my rear wheel kept slipping. And, going down was chaotic and stressful on the loose rock. PLUS add on, wind. Now it is virulent prairie wind blowing over the fields, pushing my bike on the gravel. Literally. I had to put my feet down in order to not get pushed over. I ended up walking. A lot.

I drank water and rested my head on the handlebars. It was hard to breathe as the wind snatched my breath away. I wanted to flag down a pick-up and get a ride, but there was no traffic. Finally I reached pavement and turned south. Into the full force of the wind. I was so exhausted; I wanted to quit. Yet, I was only 5 miles away.

My next turn was onto 520th Street with a wide berm perfect for cycling. Why didn't Google put me on that as it was an option and optimum way to get where I was going????

It took me over 2 hours for those miles.

Hills Access camping is only $10 with no electricity. One mile down the road is a Casey's, a bar for food and water as there is no potable water on site. No showers, just vault toilets.

As I was setting up a couple arrived doing a day ride. I quizzed the gentleman about tomorrow's plan. He assured me everything was paved. I hope he isn't full of baloney.

In my tent cleaned up at the pump, hiding in my tent from the gnats.

Comments