Day 19, Selby to Beaver Creek rec. Area

Tuesday June 16, 2020, 80 miles (129 km) - Total so far: 1,085 miles (1,746 km)

Well, all the prayers, positive vibes, etc worked, because I made it through the heat, tough terrain, and wind.

A few people have commented, supposing I am naive: didn't you know about the wind? Yes, I expected it and also knew that it normally blows from the West. What I've been recording here and for the past 2 weeks have been historic winds. For example I just had a brat in the trailer of life-long ND-oans, 2 couples, they said never have they seen it like this. He said it is 20 miles OVER the norm. He said it was likely blowing at 30, possibly getting over 50. At all these campgrounds are fishermen disappointed because they cannot go out on the water. The wind doesn't stop; it just blows.

That said, they were favorable today. I packed up and left the city park in Selby at 5:45; I wanted to get a jump on the heat, etc. I had 5 FULL water bottles. Once heading north there would be nothing. Not even the occasional farm. It is all corporate farming. Three thousand plus acres. And, no shade trees.

The wind was maybe only 20 when I started, reasonable. I went to Glenham and took the Glenham road up to 1804. Yes, there were twists and turns, climbing out. I used my lowest gears, plus the wind got me up without too much pressure on the knees. I took lots of pictures. A squall was blurring up the sky, I rode through a bit of rain. Mostly it made me hurry. I reached Pollock at 10 a.m. at 45 miles.

It was a greasy kind of town. Really no reason to hang around. Temps and wind were still moderate, I kept going. Naively I did think, since I had plenty of water, I could wild camp in a bay bale. Hahaha. This is all corporate farming g. No hale bales per se. Certainly I could camp under a yacht size combine. Before leaving Pollock I got Intel on campgrounds. A guy said if I went 40 more miles I'd find camping at Beaver Creek, federal US army corps of engineers land.

I made it by 2 pm. By now the winds are just ripping. It was hard to control the bike downhill. I pull in and I need to set up an account, register online. Ok, if you have a signal. I was lucky in that I found a ranger in a truck and asked for help. She asks me if I have a Smartphone, as if everything will be solved. There are a million and one random reasons I will or won't have connectivity. Downloads can take 5 or more minutes, meanwhile the site times out. It took us an hour to get me a reservation. I did mention that the current system leaves one distracted by the bureaucracy.

She blamed it on Covid.

Anyway, I was invited inside a trailer for a brat, fresh strawberries, and another fruit salad. Plus a date bar. As I was putting up my tent another camper invited me over for a fish dinner!! We'll see.

Once in Bismarck I'll need to find a host or camping and bike repair. I want to see about brake pads and a new chain before heading West. Also once again my odometer is on the fritz.

·Ate sooo much fried fish. Totally full.






Click here for a larger version of the picture
not sure I captured the weird light, a storm building, a break where the sun hot the grasslands on the opposite bank
Click here for a larger version of the picture
perspective: small little cluster of buildings
 Click here for a larger version of the picture

Click here for a larger version of the picture



Comments