Day 2, Aux Sable Access to Lock 6, Hennepin Canal


Saturday May 30, 2020, 72 miles (116 km) - Total so far: 92 miles (148 km)

Always the first night in the tent is fitful. I woke up a lot. That said, I really love the new tent. My old one aS a little coffin tent where I had to crawl in and out by the front. A side entrance is way better.

I had decided I would get off the I and M, and rode smoothly on quiet roads. I'd done 30 miles by 10. Chalk it up to an early start. I broke camp at 7, after a sunscreen shower. I'm trying to be good about protecting my skin. On Route 71 I rode by the river or river backwater. Right before Starved Rock came some sharp, sudden climbs. And, the roads were busy. Because this was the first day Illinois was open, Starved Rock was a mad house. Hundreds of cars, no masks, no social distancing.

There were so many more climbs today than I anticipated. I was truly pooped. I really hope I haven't gotten in over my head. Route 29 after Spring Valley was up and down. I made it to Hennepin Canal around 3 and took some pics. The trail is nice, LEVEL, but I was so tired. I made it to the campground by 4. There are vault toilets, but no water sources. When I pulled in there was already 2 family groups set up. One of the guys gave me a bottle of water. I think I have enough for tonight and in the a.m.

Canals I have ridden: I and M, C and O Towpath, Got a Canal in Sweden.





Comments