Time for a ride

Since my cross-country bike extravaganza in 2020 I've been hard at work. There have been some weekenders and day trips, plus a whole lot of moving around and getting settled. I wanted to do a ride just to see if I still have it in me--to be seen.

I'd planned to do this trip mid-May, but came down with Covid and so had to cancel, losing hotel reservations and getting some Amtrak train money back, but not all. On top of that my friend who was to go with me couldn't do it any other time.

I decided to use the holiday plus 2 days off to string together 4 days for the ride. Starting in Owosso-Grand Rapids-Holland-South Haven-Kalamazoo-Lansing, not quite a loop.

Owosso to Grand Rapids

Sunday July 3, 2022, 75 miles (121 km) - Total so far: 75 miles (121 km)

The day started at 9 a.m. getting a ride to the trailhead via my son-in-law. It was kind of him to take me, but he was a bit out of it attaching the bike rack--at one point we looked back and saw the bike dangling. We pulled over to fix it to discover that the bike lock had blown off. He said I'd be lighter. We had to stop once more when I saw my fender break almost off. The back half had snapped. Lighter, he said again. I told him no more lightening my load. We parked just west of Owosso on Warren Rd. where I assembled my bags and waved good bye. It was 10 a.m.

Fred Meijer Clinton-Ionia-Shiawassee Trail, Owosso to Lowell. At first the trail was loose, sandy, and my back tire kept getting caught, slowing me down. Eventually it improved. In the approach to villages there is blacktop and usually a "depot" for restrooms and water. Nevertheless, it was hard to stay hydrated as the heat was intense. After leaving the shady trail in Lowell, the sun was fully on me. I followed Grand River Road to Ada where I absolutely needed a Gatorade. From Ada it was UPHILL, leaving the river, yet there was still ample trail/sidewalk.

I slept indoors at a friend's, falling asleep to the sound of fireworks.






Ada covered bridge



Comments