Eagle Lake Beach to Lansing--well, that didn't happen

 Eagle Lake Beach to Lansing--well, that didn't happen

Wednesday July 6, 2022, 45 miles (72 km) - Total so far: 251 miles (404 km)

The plan was to ride home to Okemos from Eagle Lake Beach, but weather set me back. AGAIN it stormed all night long. I checked my phone in the a,m, and it said ending by 7. Nope, then 9. I got started at 9 with my taillight blinking and being extra careful. There was an overgrown trail that bordered busy M-96 past the Fort Custer Armory and Veterans Building. After that I picked up Battle Creek Linear Park. AGAIN beautiful, by the river. So many rivers! I rode through the trees, on planks over ravines and waterways (I was careful as everything was wet and slippery). The North Branch of the Kalamazoo River runs into Battle Creek. Once I left Battle Creek I was on roadways with moderate hills.

Humidity if not 100% was close. I could not stop sweating. My cycling gloves were white from salt. EVERYTHING was wet. At least the day was overcast, so no intense sun. Soon it began to rain again. And, again. At Bellevue I could only take so much. Knowing my son-in-law was off work I called him. He had errands to run but could probably get me at 3 pm. I kept going. Charlotte was a pretty little town, not as dreary as Bellevue, I rode along busy roadways to Potterville where I waited at a MacDonald's for rescue. Amazing how fast those last miles flew in a car. I apologized for smelling and my moldy shoes.

Once home I set about drying stuff out and taking a shower--so many dead bugs and pieces of grass down the drain!

Despite getting picked up I do feel like I still have the spirit and look forward to more adventures!




Comments