Grand Rapids to along Lake Michigan

Grand Rapids to along Lake Michigan

Monday July 4, 2022, 63 miles (101 km) - Total so far: 138 miles (222 km)

I was still wasted and exhausted from heat and dehydration in the a.m. but got going around 9 a.m. I soon found it hard to breath I was so dehydrated. I had to stop every so often and rest. I made it south of Zeeland to a Mooville ice cream shop where they were offering $2 all you can eat sundaes. I took Market Street out of GR as it was a holiday and no traffic, Market ran into the Kent Trails. So beautiful!

After that there was a series of street cues to Fred Meijer Kenowa Trail. That trail continued onto Upper Macatawa Natural Area--another natural wonder, very curvy with some ups and downs. After that it was streets using Google maps and my phone talking me through Holland. I stayed south of downtown. Eventually I connected to Beeline Trail. Again, super nice. I was just soo soo tired. Gatorade just wasn't fixing me. Saugatuck and Douglas were quaint and touristy. I bought a sandwich and filled all my bottles in preparation for wild camping.

 

As the sun dipped into the lake, fireworks added to the colors of the night time sky.

Comments

Lynda Kopacz said…
So many fond memories of Grand Rapids when I was a freshman at Calvin College...Holland, New Zealand,stayed in Fennville. There are so many pretty lakes. If you pedal North, check out Rodney Michigan and Cran Hill Ranch.

Take care of yourself and enjoy the journey.