From along Lake Michigan to Eagle Lake Beach, Fort Custer Rec. Area

 From along Lake Michigan to Eagle Lake Beach, Fort Custer Rec. Area

Tuesday July 5, 2022, 68 miles (109 km) - Total so far: 206 miles (332 km)

Well, more than fireworks lit up the sky--add thunder and lightning. It stormed all night long. I stayed dry in my tent and the rain stopped around 7 allowing me to get going at 8. Yet everything was clammy. Humidity fogged my sunglasses so I took them off--as well as the speedometer/computer on my bike. The Ironhorse is a piece of junk. It doesn't stop adding miles--even when I've stopped!! I didn't need it as the Google lady directed me to the Kalhaven trail where I cycled to the end where I met up with the Kalamazoo Valley Trail. The heat was again intense once I finished the shady parts through the woods. As the Kalhaven came to an end it was uphill and the trail was wide through the trees. Very beautiful. At the end is a little park with a caboose.

I kept following the KVT through Kalamazoo and along the River to the east side of town where it continues to Comstock and Galesburg. Even along the busy roads there was a small trail. In Augusta I got a burrito and filled up with water. There was a wide berm along M-96. Google lady suddenly told me to turn on a road that--wasn't there. I doubled back--scary on the busy road--and still couldn't see what she was talking about, but decided to push through the tall grass and discovered an abandoned road that led into the woods where I camped and cleaned up for the evening, eating my burrito by mosquito twilight.




view from my tent


Comments