JOGLE Day 15, Church Stretton to Tintern Abbey, 73 miles



from my trip diary originally posted at Crazy Guy on a Bike

Day 15, Church Stretton to Tintern Abbey, 73 miles

Monday September 19, 2016, 73 miles (117 km) - Total so far: 835 miles (1,344 km)

Left the All Stretton Bunkhose a little before 8 a.m. in drizzle. Stayed that way until noon. Took the A49 to Ludlow and bypassed Leominster. By noon 43 miles to Hereford. Took a minor road to Monmouth, another 12 miles. There was one long uphill, but definitely a big downhill into town. I had to push the bike up, and 3/4 of the way there were blackberries growing. So I'd walk the bike, snack, and keep going. I also noticed that somewhere along the uphill I must've entered Wales!Since it was only 3 pm I went on. I really wanted to make it to Tintern Abbey. I got there 10 minutes after it closed, but walk around and took pics. Since it was cloudy and felt like evening and I'd done 73 miles. I decided to wild camp. Right now at the Anchor Tavern having a great meal.
Today was definitely a day of more downhill than up hills. I'm feeling like I might be able to finish.

Ludlow

Ludlow, Come you home a hero,
Or come not home at all,
The lads you leave will mind you
Till Ludlow tower shall fall. *A.E. Houseman

Hereford

Hereford

Hereford

Welsh signs

weird Welsh

Tintern Abbey

Tintern Abbey

Tintern Abbey

Tintern Abbey was founded by Walter de Clare, Lord of Chepstow, on 9 May 1131.Wordsworth: LINES WRITTEN A FEW MILES ABOVE TINTERN ABBEY,ON REVISITING THE BANKS OF THE WYE DURING A TOUR,July 13, 1798.=====
Five years have past; five summers, with the length
Of five long winters! and again I hear
These waters, rolling from their mountain-springs
With a sweet inland murmur.

wild camping Tintern

Comments