Highway 101, Florence to Heceta Lighthouse

Highway 101, Florence to Heceta Lighthouse
24 miles RT


As I’m beginning the process of unplugging from Eugene (see earlier posts), I know more and more I’m going to miss this magical place.

Yesterday, I took the Lane Link from Eugene to Florence for $5. How easy! Aside from having to be at a corner at 7:32 a.m. it is simple and quick. I retrieved my bike from the front of the shuttle and began rising up the coast at 9:15 a.m. I tried to recruit a cycling companion, but she backed out. I’m of two minds—my usual state of affairs—yes, it is scary to embark on any new thing, and Hwy 101 can be twisty-turny and traffic-heavy. But you don’t know until you do.

You see, you can always turn around and come back. There’s no harm in trying.

So I started off alone, with trepidation. Aside from my acquaintance pulling out, my daughter gets worried when I undertake these rides. To be fair, it’s not like I haven’t fallen or gotten into pickles. Again, we don’t know until we go. But, I left with heavy doubts.

I shouldn’t have worried. This segment of the 101 from Florence (Old Town) to Heceta Lighthouse had good berm, meaning room for a cyclist alongside traffic. Traffic flow was not that bad. Maybe about 7 or 8 miles from start I hit a hill that was about 3 – 4 miles in length. But by the time I hit the “Seal Lion Caves” I was descending. Right before my turn off for Heceta Lighthouse I crossed through a tunnel where a cyclist can push a button to alert motorists a cyclist is in the tunnel. Everything went smoothly.

My new bike, a Surly Disc Trucker, rode like a dream. I might adjust the saddle as I felt like the nose is a bit tilted up, but this might be a perception. My butt was comfortable. The shifting is terrific. I only wish there was 1 or 2 lower gears or more teeth for climbs, but nothing was too hard. It just will take practice and more rides to get used to which way to go on the shifters. Several times I did the opposite. Haha!

Enjoy the pics!








Comments