The Hiding Place

World Wide Pictures is a film studio/production run out of the Billy Graham Association. Cue “Thief in the Night.” A movie most Christian teenagers remember seeing and responding to the “altar” call. I mean who wants to get left behind (another infamous film and book title). I remember being freaked out by the movie: Wait! What’s going to happen?!

The Hiding Place based upon the writings of Corrie Ten Boom (Tramp for the Lord, etc) is a memoir of sorts, before there was even a thing called memoir. It is the story of how Corrie, a middle-aged woman, and her older spinster sister, and their elderly father Casper Ten Boom a watch/clock repairman are inspired to help Dutch Jews hide and escape from the occupied Netherlands during World War II. The movie came out in 1975. As a kid, I remember it being very Jesus-y. As a young adult entering street mission work in the inner-city of Chicago, I remember the maxim that God gives us what we need at the right time, based upon Casper’s fatherly advise to a young Corrie that he would give her her train ticket right before she got on the train.

No need to worry. All in due time. Relax. Do not fear.

I’ve leaned into this idea of the ticket all my adult life.

The film title came up in my list of viewing options on Prime the other night and I thought, Why not? It’s been a while. A looong while. Yes, it is Jesus-y but the acting is better than one might expect. Known actors played Casper and, the older sister. There was a lot of info and life story and background to get into a film, thus, it runs a bit long. Mostly, I was struck by how “current” it felt: A political occupation impacting daily life and how the population reacts. Some residents go along and aid the German Nazis in rounding up the Jews. Some just keep their head down and tell themselves that things will go back to normal when this is all over.

But Casper, as soon as they demand Jews wear the yellow star, gets in line, even though he is a Christian. He goes harder. He invites them to his house. Corrie decides to go out and finagle more ration cards so they can feed their guests. She gives up a foot and half of her bedroom so that they can build a hiding place accessed by a linen closet. The rest of her family is involved in the Resistance, sending messages along and other communiqué. They are definitely breaking the law because they are loyal Dutch and hate their occupiers or, in the case of Casper, Betsie and Corrie, following a higher command. If your brother is in need, help them. Feed and cloth the poor and downtrodden. Love is the rule, rather than the twisted logic of their German overlords.

The Germans appeal to them to be patriotic, to follow the law, to go along and obey. Why do they have to care so much about strangers, exiles, immigrants, the physically and mentally weak?? They claim to be Christians also and, besides, they have so much in common. One Nazi character is the son of a watchmaker and has interesting conversations with Casper.

I can’t tell you how often I hear the words . . . When this is all over. Yes, we have No Kings protests. But there is still fear on the streets with ICE arrests disappearing our neighbors, with many churches and Evangelicals not just going along with but applauding the current administration. They see themselves as patriots, America first, followers of the law. But they have forgotten the higher law of love. The harder work of going out of one’s comfort zone and laying your life down for others.

Long story short: the family is deported to a work camp where disease and hard labor picks them off. And, Corrie, she is scared, past her prime, alone and, somehow, she is given a ticket . . . and endures. At the end of the war, she walks out of the camp and has to start over.

The world and society are in a shambles post-war. The Ten Boom business and home no longer exist. The family has suffered loss. She decides in her mid-50s to live out of a suitcase and travel the world telling her story of hope and forgiveness. She does this on up to her late 80s. It is a remarkable story.

I put the movie on as background as I sit and do handwork (crosstitch), but I was caught up. Where would I stand today as someone older and not wanting to die in an ICE raid like Alex Pretti and Renée Good? I’m just sitting here. Would I have the courage of Corrie Ten Boom to seek out people to help and risk so much? Would I trust God for the ticket? What it takes to be an activist.






Comments