Booking stand-up at a homeless shelter

I once invited a comedian to perform at a homeless shelter.

There were several factors at the time that went into this decision.

One) Everyone appreciates a little humor

Two) Those starting out need a little help and feedback ie they need an audience

Three) At the shelter day program you have a built-in audience ie they aren’t going anywhere, they love the extra attention, and, sometimes, participation is mandatory

In Chicago I was part of an artist resource network and occasionally there were on-line notices from up-and-coming comedians working on a schtick looking for feedback, bookings, etc. I contacted one of them to see if they were interested. Thus, I booked someone I’ll call Frank.

Frank arrived in the alley separating the two across-the-street shelters. I found him nervously smoking a cigarette. It’s gonna be fine, I said.

To be honest, Frank wasn’t great. His routine needed a lot of work and polishing. But the guys were generous with their laughter and, at times, confusion/concern. They definitely thanked Frank at the end. Invited him to the free dinner across the street in the dining room. But Frank had to get going.

This week, as I’ve been pondering random memories, this came up. Anyone needing the practice before a live group for their speech, performance, to try out their material, should consider calling up a homeless shelter and volunteering.

We’re all just looking for a little bit of positivity.




Comments