Pulling Up the Garden

Yesterday I pulled up most of the garden. Truthfully, I should have done this in August as the tomatoes were terrible this year. The stalks were limp and brown and could hardly hold the fruit. Something (a bug, worm, beast?) got to my kale and made lace out of the leaves. The beans refused to climb or grow until the last minute and put out a handful of fruit. Not a single cucumber, same as last year. I got about 4 or 5 squash, but have now decided I do not like squash. No matter what I do, they turn out wet and awful when prepping to eat. Also TOO MANY seeds inside, though soft and edible. The whole experience was like eating over ripe okra.

I’ve been thinking about next year’s venture (always) and have decided I will move the garden to the side of the shed and do a raised bed. There is just not enough sun for the poor garden at the side of the house because of the big trees. It seems doable in the spring, but then they leaf out and it rains and the soil doesn’t dry out and moss grows next to the spindly crops. I must be realistic . . . is what I think as I pull up this year’s garden.

There’s always next year.



Comments