Day 1, Okemos to Fallasburg Park, 74 miles

I rode through cottonwood drift falling around me like snow from the sky. Beside the path white and fuchsia wildflowers bobbed their little heads. The day was warm but not too hot; the sky was blue dotted with clouds—but I knew that storms were predicted for later on!

In St. Johns bathroom doors were locked, drinking fountains dry. I ate a little and then rode on, using the Shiawassee Trail. At Fowler I texted a work mate who lives in Ionia to see if he wanted to meet up. Yes! He rode to Lyons where we went on to Saranac. I’m glad Jeff was with me as the trail, though level and scenic, can also be a bit boring.

After Jeff turned around, I was a bit tired and took a break before starting the road part of the trip to get to Fallasburg Park. The road went up, leaving the river. It was about 11 more miles to the park. The North Country trail also goes through the park. Right before the park is what Wikipedia describes as an abandoned village. Established in 1837, it went into decline in the late 1800s. Built along the Flat River, grist and saw mills were the major industries. Today some of the original buildings still stand as well as a covered bridge over the Flat River.

When I arrived at the park I sat at a picnic table and ate half of my foot-long sub and the rest of a Gatorade purchased in Ionia. I saw a corner of the sky blueing up, but was afraid to put my tent up as the place was full of people celebrating Memorial Day weekend. I went up to the restrooms to clean up a bit. By the time I walked out, only a few minutes later, I could hear not too distant rumbles from the west. I went back to the picnic table and saw people were scurrying to their cars and went to put up by tent. By now it was actually raining and I had to hurry. Suffice it to say: I did get a little wet. The storm was a crasher and I wasn’t very organized while it lasted. After the rain slacked I moved around and inflated my mat and spread out. It was going to be a quiet night.







 

Comments