45 miles, Okemos to Crooked Lake Rustic Campground

What a lovely ride! Yes, it is scorching hot. It seems I only get days off for extended bike trips that coincide with heat waves. Still, I'm grateful.

I packed Saturday night after work and got up and off early. Temps were moderate when I left as were winds, WSW, which was mostly good. Being Labor Day weekend and Sunday, the roads were empty. It seemed like in no time I was in Stockbridge Township where I picked up the Mike Levine Lakeland Trail heading east. In another few miles I was in Gregory where there is a well stocked market. I got Gatorade, chips, and a decadent treat that will last the entire trip.
After Gregory  I stopped for an early lunch besides the trail. There are very few benches and picnic tables. After eating it had warmed up, but not bad. The sky was a summer blue with little puffy clouds and the meadows were wreathed in wildflowers edged by spruce trees. I really felt like I was in another land. I missed my turn to Hell. I know, it sounds worse than it is. The town has made the most out of its name. When I finally got the Hell corner it was three bars and a putt-putt golf course. And a ton of motorcycles, biker dudes and babes playing up the idea they were in Hell (Michigan).
Silver Hill Road at the same corner as the bars where I filled up all water bottles, is a dirt track back into the woods and Crooked Lake. It dead ends, but I was able to go around a barrier and enter the campground. There is a hand pump I passed on the way in for water. The dirt was loose and sandy and there were ups and downs so I had to pay attention. I called a number on an information board and got through; they said all sites were reserved, which was weird because I saw a lot of unoccupied ones. Nevertheless, I scouted out the area and walked the bike around another barrier onto a lovely path that went around the lake. I'm not sure if it is for bikers or hikers--it's not the Potatawatami mtn bike trail. Anyway, I set up my tent uphill from lake and am resting under some trees.

There is posted no swimming, but I might walk down tonight and splash water over me to clean up.





Comments