Changing the Potty: Out with the old, in with the new

Changing the Potty: Out with the old, in with the new

*TRIGGER WARNING: graphic content

The whole idea of a composting toilet means you are going to be far more acquainted with your inner workings than most people.

I’ve had to make sure about keeping solids and liquids separate. This is done by opening a “trapdoor” pretty much under the bum for solids to drop into, then closing the door when going number 1. Tissue or TP goes into the solids bin. This actually doesn’t breakdown as rapidly as the poo and, therefore, when emptying the toilet is mostly what I’m seeing. For me the process of emptying the solids bin has to be reckoned with about every 6 weeks.

I know when that is coming up by the tension placed upon the agitator and a “fill” line. Let me explain. After adding to the solids bin, I will with my foot rotate an agitator bar with in the bin that gives everything a good stir. I give it 3 or 4 rotations, mixing everything up. At first it is like gliding through cloud, but as things add up there is some resistance, more material to move around. After a while the load is significant and I have to push down harder on the agitator wheel with my foot. Additionally, the build-up of TP in the basin is considerable. I’m proud to say I’m not a heavy user of TP (more moderate to frugal, in my opinion) it adds up. The agitator bar helps to break it down and compress it with the coco coir.

All this to say I’m conscious of how my body works.

There are how-to videos on the internet and most folks have their own way of dealing with the task of emptying the solids bin. I get everything lined up and ready because once I start I don’t want to be running to get something. I detach the seat and lid and take it outside for a good spray down. Next, I can easily pick up the rest of the Nature’s Head and take it outside where I put a bag over it or else a garbage bag-lined box and turn the toilet upside down. The content comes loose and falls away, but a good bit remains clumped or trapped by the agitator bars. I give those a turn and more breaks away. The remainder I will have to remove with gloved hands. I know, eww. Truthfully, it is like breaking apart clumps of soil. A lot will come off in hunks from the bottom and walls of the basin. Nevertheless, I try to make short order of this project. It is not necessary to disinfect or clean every last bit out of the solids bin. The good bacteria for breaking things down should be left undisturbed, though I’ve seen videos and heard of folks who bleach the bin and just start over. The bag or box is tossed into the garbage. After that I add the rehydrated coco coir and move it back into the Tiny House.

The whole process takes me maybe 45 minutes.

It’s not stress-free, but absolutely better for the environment,




 

 

Comments

Sandy said…
Only you could handle this. Very interesting. Too much information. I hope you can get plumbing in the future.
Jane said…
Definitely TMI. Thanks.
Lydarose said…
What Sandy said. I love the concept but don’t think I could live with the reality. You, Jane, have the courage to fearlessly tackle this.