Finally, on that particular Wednesday, March 31

I heard I’d been awarded a DCASE grant from the city of Chicago, for an individual artist. Essentially this is money in and money out. When I applied at the end of 2020, recognizably a terrible year, I wanted to set my sights, hopes on 2021. There is not much agency a poor artist/writer has except dreams. I thought what can I do if awarded this grant, a big if, and went for another big if: the Novel-in-a-Year program out of Story Studio a Chicago literary institution.

I’d been aware of Story Studio for the past 17 years since it was started by Jill Pollack and had writer envy when studying the catalog, but, alas, it was a bit too pricey for me. Again, I’d had friends and colleagues take classes and rave about how it was JUST THE THING, a boost to their writing/professional life. It was a way to broaden contacts and network with fellow writers.

So at the end of a dreary pandemic-filled year, a year of impending doom and real-life death, I applied for both the DCASE and a slot in the NIAY program. By the end of Dec. I heard back from Story Studio that I was in!

But, that meant I had to begin paying tuition. I wasn’t sure about anything at this point. I’d already planned to travel to Eugene. OR to be with my daughter and her husband for the holidays and the birth of their first child. I’d made tentative plans for a place to stay, but all this was going to cost money. I went out on a limb, to the very edge (see past Eugene posts).

Things worked themselves out. Until then on Wednesday, March 31 I got an email in my in-box: Congratulations!

The monies still need to be released but at least I know they are forthcoming (more as an reimbursement). It is also acknowledgement of my work and career affirmation—as much as I can make a career of writing. I’ve blogged before that Louisa May Alcott made more from publishing her Gothic short stories in area newspapers in 1870 than I do now in 2020. Today I’m considered a content provider.

And a DCASE winner.

"Dear Jane,
Congratulations
! On behalf of the City of Chicago's Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), we are pleased to announce that you have been selected to receive a 2021 Individual Artists Program (IAP) grant"🧚‍♀️🎉




Comments