Presidents' Day (whatever this about)

This week I’m taking the long view. Those who know me, know I can be impatient. It’s why I have to gobble my food so quickly, drink in gulps. Attack my bike trips as if I am expecting to finish by the end of the week. Imagine my disappointment when I did not complete riding across Iowa onschedule!  There is nothing I love more than a puzzle, but then I go and ruin it by obsessing, working endless hours to get it done—whereupon I immediately break it apart and box it up. Done!

So on this past Presidents' Day (I know! Who cares, right?!) I had an interesting conversation at work where we discussed some of the worst presidents and how in comparison we’ve had to revise some of our opinions. Such as George W. Bush was the worst president ever. That is until #45. I said Trump made Nixon in retrospect not to be so bad. In comparison that fiddley 17-year war Bush started doesn’t seem like such a big deal.

In the short-term.

But history takes the long view and when it is written and the next generation reads it, maybe, in high school textbooks, which we all know they never get past World War II, but if they did, they might read that each of the worst have been the worst in their own unique world and planet-wrecking way. They may escape some of this now because we are still in the midst of it, but time will tell the full story.



Comments