Goldfish Crackers

Since becoming a grandma I’m still trying to figure out what it means. He’s still pretty small and doesn’t do much. The first week or two while I visited his eyes were never open. My most basic interaction is giving him a bottle while my daughter showers or cooks dinner. We’re working on a schedule—meaning we’re thinking about how that might look. At this point he dictates.

Meaning my daughter doesn’t get a lot of sleep.

I stopped at the grocery on the way up the hill on my bike to get a few things for dinner. I saw Goldfish crackers were on sale. These were the go-to snack when she was little. I remembered her little head with a blonde top-knot bobbing up and down the hallway, and her dropping a trail of Goldfish crackers like breadcrumbs always to find her way back home.

Once at the house and catching my breath after the ride, I pulled the Goldfish out of my bike bag. There was an audible gasp. I needed these! she exclaimed.

I can’t tell you exactly what it feels like to be a Grandma, but this exchange made me still feel like a Mom.



Comments