Rejected Manuscripts



I recently had new work published at a small online journal called Rejected Manuscripts.

I'd only just started circulating Examples of Synchronicity, and while at Calvin College and the Festival of Faith & Writing I received a rejection. This in and of itself is no big deal. In fact I barely ever emotionally register a rejection. Mainly because I'm ALWAYS sending things out. I know the odds are I'll eventually get an acceptance.

But it was WHY it was rejected that baffled me. The editor said dismissively--this seems like a bunch of random coincidences. And, I thought--well? yes--that was the point. It's sort of the meaning of synchronicity and the basis of the piece, a series of small flashes that detailed examples of synchronicity.

I sort of thought that was evident, self-explanatory.

Image result for joy williams, god
I sat in on a session with the famous short story writer Joy Williams, who has her own book out containing what I might describe as flash essays/fiction/synchronicity/random musings: Ninety-Nine Stories of God.

Afterwards I walked with her to the pedestrian bridge over the highway and told her about this rejection. She laughed. Yeah, I thought so too!

It was funny.

Later I submitted to Rejected Manuscripts and it was accepted. Just goes to show.

go here to read: https://rejectedmanuscripts.org/examples-of-synchronicity-meaningless-coincidences-or-flashes-of-the-universe-aligning/

Comments