Bjälveröd Camping, neat Strömstad, Sweden, to Moss, Norway

Wednesday June 27, 2018, 101 km (63 miles) - Total so far: 1,546 km (961 miles)

Left camp early, as I wanted to beat the heat. I didn't mention that yesterday I took 2 wrong turns that added about 10 heartbreaking miles. Both times I had to backtrack, once up a very serious hill and the other was the last straw. I was fed up. So today I was on my GPS like white on rice. I took 176 all the way into Norway and the 118 all the way to Moss. I'm sure I'm pronouncing the name wrong.

Yesterday I did one new thing: finally used my credit card. Paid for camping 100 Swedish crowns. I was afraid my bank would jam me, but so far all good. I held off using cc in Norway for small purchases because wanted a cash machine.

Before leaving Chicago I purchased currency at the bank. They kept asking, why? For convenience I said, knowing I'd be on a bike, maybe in small towns, etc. I held off getting NOK. So once in Norway it was on my mind. Then I got thirsty, wanted an ice cream. I was in nowhere's land. In Rade started looking. In Rygge got desperate. Between these 2 towns stopped at a total of 4 stores trying to get cash back. Finally found an ATM outside a real estate office. It was temporarily out of service. So be aware: cash stations are getting scarcer and scarcer. Eventually they will go the way of the internet cafe and VCRs.

Rode a bit on 1, the North Sea bike route, but boy is it spotty. Then outside Moss took bike route 7. The hills in Moss are crazy steep. When I finally found an ATM I took out 1200 NOK. About $140. And spent over $200 NOK buying pizza and grocery items.

The other new thing I did on this trip: booked an Air B&B. I sat on the side walk in the shade and figured it out on my slow, measly phone. I knew from previewing the trip that Moss options for camping and stealth camping were limited. There were no cheap hostels. I wanted to keep things charged before heading into the mountains. So got a tiny house, a little backyard cottage. Bathroom is across the lawn.

So tonight well-fed, got $$, got a bed, sipping black currant tea, charging devices, and watching kittens bounce on a trampoline. Next report from the other side, going up into Telemark country.
Swedish mile

5th and last country


part of the North Sea Velo route

tiny house

tiny house

Comments