Amsterdam-Dalfsen

Saturday June 9, 2018, 146 km (91 miles) - Total so far: 162 km (101 miles)

I only have myself to blame. But first the good part.


My phone talked me out of Amsterdam. I was living the dream, cycling on flat paths, mostly without traffic. Google map lady nudged me when to turn. I only got confused twice, once at a roundabout (of course) and again when I had to circle back and get on a path parallel to a major road. It looked like an on-ramp. Really there were long stretches where there was no one. After lunch I put on sun screen.

My GPS worked up to Elburg where there was a vacation resort for campers. I pulled in for a break and ice cream cone. I pulled out my battery and tried to charge the phone. It was slow going, but at 25% I turned it back on. It wouldn't stay on, but kept turning off. After an hour I decided to go using direction I'd written down off my kindle. Signs for bikes got me to Zwolle, and there it was lights out.

sheep on pathway, not dead
I probably went in and out of that damn town 4 times. It's my own fault for not having a back up plan and paper map. Let's just say the 5 or 6 people I talked to had their own interpretation of how to get to Dalfsen. After getting sorted out for the last and final time it took me less than an hour and less than 12KM total. All in all I spent almost 2 hours riding needlessly around.

quiet lonesome paths
I'm at my host's house, but they aren't here. I've been here for an hour sitting on the cement ground. Must figure something out for tomorrow, as I cannot have a repeat of today.
my hosts

Comments