My Bike Trip to Nova Scotia, NB, coast of Maine

Day 3, Liverpool graveyard, rained all day

Saturday June 17, 2017, 56 miles (90 km) - Total so far: 149 miles (240 km)

Last night I got rest. I had a great campfire, charged my phone, and read until sleepy. Far off I could hear the waves beating the cliffs.

Then in the night the rain came. Not entirely unexpected. Also I was prepared from my 2 spring bike campouts. Both were really wet. Plus I knew I'd have to expect rain in Nova Scotia.

I packed up wet and hit the road. About 5 miles later I was in LeHave. I took the ferry over and the salty sailor called it a miserable day. I went to the bakery there and ordered a pot of tea and a scone with butter. I had plenty of energy. The hills were not so bad. I was following my Warmshowers host Steve's recommendations. At one point though I went onto Green Bay Road to eventually connect with the 331. There was no way. I kept passing a circle of trailers where a woman emerged with her baby and went to sit under a torn tarp where there was a fire. The photo of the migrant mother came to mind. She said the road didn't go through.

I turned around and went back. That was 5 miles.

The rain never quit. I made it to Port Medway where I ate a bowl of chowder. I knew I'd only make it to Liverpool. Even though it was only 4 in the afternoon cars had their headlights on. Back when I did 2 K on 103 I was freaked out by the traffic. There was a wide shoulder, but with the rain I wanted to play it safe. I went to turn on my rear reflector and it wasn't there. It must have fallen off somewhere.

So when I got to Liverpool I stopped at a hardware store and bought a cheapy blinky one and some chain lube. It might not be the right kind but I'll need something. I'm afraid my chain will rust.
Hoping tomorrow no rain and that I can post this. Not a lot of WiFi at night.

Tonight I stealth camp just outside the village of Liverpool at the edge of a cemetery next to some woods.

Comments