Another flash memory/memoir
Telephone books. I know, I know. They don’t make them anymore. We used our Dayton and outlying suburbs book for me to sit on at Thanksgiving at the big people table. I remember as I got older checking for the last name of the boy I might have a crush on. Once calling and hanging up when their mom answered the phone. Scanning for names of people I might possibly call if I had the courage to see if they wanted to go sledding or play tennis. Activities where you needed another person. I remember feeling so lonely going through the directory. All these names and there was no one for me.
I remember when on vacation the first or else first thing
when I was bored, I’d look for a telephone book at the motel we might be
staying at. And see if there were any other Feebacks in the area. That was my
maiden name. A weird one. There’s a greater than average chance any Feeback in
the area was related to us or originated in the Kentucky area where my father
came from.
From Ancestry:
Where is the Feeback family from?
You can see how Feeback families moved over time by
selecting different census years. The Feeback family name was found in the USA
between 1840 and 1920. The most Feeback families were found in USA in 1920. In
1840 there were 6 Feeback families living in Kentucky. This was 100% of all the
recorded Feeback's in USA. Kentucky had the highest population of Feeback
families in 1840.
Within my family/generation only my one brother produced a
male child carrying down the Feeback name. That son has 2 sons with Feeback
surname. My grandfather had 2 brothers who I believe only produced girls.
So there you have it: a dwindling of Feebacks and no more
phone books.

Comments