History Lesson

I’m highlighting a few random memories this week.

President Richard Nixon resigned on August 9, 1974. About that time I was a sophomore in high school sitting in a world history class. The teacher was somewhat tired, weary perhaps of the world, the weight of current events. Anyway, he said what we were living through would one day become subject matter, part of the curriculum for future students of history.

I had no doubt about that. But what really struck me was how long it would take. I mean it would be part of my story, embedded in my psyche and how I approached government. Feed my mistrust of leaders.—

To be clear: I was NEVER a Nixon fan. My parents voted for him and souped up all the bs put out about why Vietnam was important (the Domino Effect) and why so many had to go over and fight and die. We watched the draft lottery on television. My brother had a low number and went off to college. He would be safe.

Now, fast forward to JD Vance and his insipid comments about redefining Nixon and his crimes. The dude was guilty. He was pardoned! We’re living in a surreal age when Republicans are choosing to ignore history. I know history is always shifting, how we interpret periods and events such as the Indian Wars (genocide!), Manifest Destiny (boo!), slavery (Wrong! Sinful!), but to choose to look the other way and deny there was wrong doing or mislabel it as mischievous or pranks or anything other than trying to connive and steal and abuse power—is something my high school history teacher might lose his mind over. If he’s still around or not tied to Fox TV with the volume turned up.

Vance also claimed Watergate wouldn’t be much of a story today. The 12-hour news cycle would move the story onto the back page and the American public would let it fade without an outcry. I think Vance wishes this were the case. I’m not so sure. Yes, we are overwhelmed. Yes, we are apathetic, but there comes a time: When enough is enough.

Justice will be served and history will decide, in retrospect.



Comments