The first snowfall, Winter 2022

I awake under my warm blankets in my little loft

My nose close to the ceiling where my breath and

The frigerator humming down below create its own heat

After climbing down, the cold ceramic tiles stun the feet

I hustle to my toilet, as cold as an outhouse, soon though

The thermostat is pushed up and the tiny house is cozy

And the light is on, paler light still outside my window, trying trying

To wake up the world, the sky almost a haze, then

The first specks, not even flakes, more like paint splatter appear

Dotting the deck, optical illusions, almost, could be

But soon the leaves are covered in a carpet of white and a hush

As it comes down, ticket-tape confetti to celebrate the season

It’s November and the bare trees hold forth catching snowflakes

On their tongue boughs, the first taste of winter

 

We expect an inch or two






Comments

Sandy said…
Love this, so happy for you!