Flix Bus, Sammamish, the Empire Builder

I left Eugene Sept 13th via Flix Bus. For $22 I got a tix to Seattle. By the time I de-boarded I was the last person on the bus. The driver was pointing out landmarks like a tour guide. My one and only time in Seattle.

My long-time (not old!) friends were there to pick me up and take me to their home in Sammamish. It was still light out and I got a chance to see the Sound, the lake, the mountains, that eerie spiked fir trees enshrouded in wisps of low clouds Twin Peaks vibe. I was ready for pie!

There were family meals, walking the children to the bus stop in the morning, lots and lots of talking. By day 2 I was afraid I was going horse or else caught Covid on the long bus ride. I will post pics from day hike up to Snoqualmie Twin Falls. Then on bike one day Snoqualmie Valley Trail and the next Sammamish River Trail. Pictures do not tell the whole story. Behind the beauty of the area was the beauty of this family and all the times we’ve shared in the past, and hopefully going into the future.

Next I was picked up at a gas station by a pastor driving to the Pacific Northwest Women’s Getaway of which I’d signed up to attend. This took place at Cascades Camp & Conference Center in Yelm, Washington. At the Getaway I mostly concentrated on retreat, slowing down, reflection. In action. I took multiple walks around the lake and onto the trails lacing the property. Then I met a runner and we did a run one afternoon. Again, there were so many conversations of like-minded women. Those struggling with change, life transitions, coping with family issues, work, Covid . . . everything. We had time to take a breath.

On Monday, September 20 I left Portland via Amtrak. The website as much as I could research (their avatar Julie is not even AI, but a bitty bot with limited range) stated that bikes were trackside check-in. Whew! no boxing. I arrived with Big Bertha and two bikes 45 minutes before departure to be told that at the Portland station for the Empire Builder I would NEED to box the bikes. Oh, and that Big Bertha suitcase was 17 pounds over. Okay. I tossed Mike Engstrom and 2 cyclists I just met in the terminal a pedal wrench and multi-tool and went to work resorting baggage. What ended up happening was a garbage toss, a hand-off of a tote bag of stuff to Mike, and a total re-arrangement. I was careful to keep the items I would need for surviving a 2 and a half day train ride without food and shower. Still checking the bikes and the 2 bags came to a total of $90.

As soon as we were done, they were lining us up to board. I said a quick goodbye to Mike. He took pics which I’ll try to remind him to share. This is the third time Mike has had to see me off. After the first time, my cross-country bike ride where I left Portland to cycle to Seaside, OR he said he felt like a dad seeing his daughter off on an adventure—that queasy feeling where you are worried and excited for what lies ahead for your loved one. Once again he was sending me off into the unknown.

The Empire Builder snaked its way along the Columbia River before turning north toward Idaho and Montana, but that was nighttime while I slept. I awoke in Cutbank and was awake for the beauty of the mountains before we settled onto the grasslands and Plains of eastern Montana and North Dakota. Which is where the Empire Builder derailed only a few days after I arrived home. My thoughts and prayers have been with those passengers/crew and their families.

There was one point as I settled into evening onto the train and I thought: How terrifying it would be if suddenly the car tipped over in darkness and we were tossed about. Stuff flying as if projectiles. Even now I can easily imagine . . .

I arrived in Chicago Union Station Wednesday, September 22 and have since been on a packing treadmill.









Cascades

Cascades

Cascades


Comments