Day 13, Adirondacks and Green Mountain Loop Bike Trip, 2019





Day 13, Dorset, VT to Albany, NY 77 miles
What a difference a day makes!! It’s 12 noon and I’ve already done 40 miles.

Last night I complained to my host, Malcolm that I hadn’t passed any cycle tourists. “That’s because you’re on all the hard roads,” he replied. Then he drew me a map to Cambridge, NY.

I left their house at 7:30 a.m. having to leave a note to say goodbye. I made it to Dorset Village Green for a sandwich. There were hills and my legs were still trying to recover from yesterday and the day before. But I kept going. Manchester was also a cool town. After that I noticed I was able to go to my third gear and ride at least for a while. Before turn off for 313 Arlington, I stopped at a Norman Rockwell exhibit. More on this later, but let’s just say the two sales clerks were fiercely determined to preserve his legacy. Seems the whole town was in on his successful artist career when he was painting in the area. He lived there 13, 14 years and raised his three sons.

I followed 313 and the Battenkill River and this was a GREAT road! I made it to NY and the grades were gentle and even rode a lot in 3rd gear.

Right now eating second half of sandwich in Eagle Bridge.
.....
5pm arrived at Laura’s place in Albany. Wow!! Wasn’t sure this would happen, but once passed Eagle Bridge I missed a turn and was heading south and west, sort of had a feeling I was getting there. At Waterford crossed the Hudson on route 4 and was routed onto bike paths and bike lanes. I pretty much didn’t stop till I got to her house. I remembered passing some of the places on my way out of the train station over a week ago.

Comments