Is there a prophet?

Is there a prophet?

Growing up I thought the strangest people ever were prophets. Of course, I was a strange little kid. All on my own I set out to read the Bible cover-to-cover. I also set out to read all the books in my elementary school library. I didn’t even make it through all the As. But I did manage to read all of these:


A little heavy on the male hero, but that was the times!

Back to Old Testament prophets.  Amos, Hosea, Micah, Obadiah, Haggai, Habakkuk. Believe me you don’t want to be these people.

They were weird, boring, and pretty much friendless. They were obsessed, driven, and ridiculed. I was constantly worried that God might call me to be a prophet and I’d end up even worse off than being the middle school oddball I already was.

But lately I’ve been wondering: Who will stand up to the powerful? Who will speak truth to bullies? Who is going to risk their reputation to defend the poor? Basically a prophet, someone with nothing else to lose, someone who feels a divine calling to go against the grain. Someone with a social media death wish, who doesn’t mind being ostracized, twitter-fried. Ezekiel would never have fit in in the suburbs.


Definitely the whole idea of a prophet brings up a lot of questions. Such as who gets to determine what’s right and what’s wrong and who holds the yardstick for measuring up? It is such a thin line between the hypocrite and the one calling someone else a hypocrite. Setting all this aside, I look forward to the next few years and seeing who decides to go against the flow and logjam the rich and powerful. Is there a prophet?
  Circa 1360 Illustrationin Speculum Humanae Salvationis  Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek Darmstadt,  This prophet's death by sawing is detailed in the 3rd century .

Comments