Day 27, Jordan to Winnet: New scenery, meeting cyclists on the road

Wednesday June 24, 2020, 54 miles (87 km) - Total so far: 1,531 miles (2,464 km)

It was hot last night in the tent. So I set the alarm early to get out before the heat.

I wanted to somehow find a cell tower to let folks know I'm okay. I rode past several, always checking. In Sand Springs a woman said the carrier is Verizon. So not sure when I can connect with folks and post updates to trip diary. I reached Sand Spring at 33 miles. Already it was warming up. I refilled water from a bottle dispenser which makes me wonder about drinking the water in this area. The ladies at the store/way station in Sand Springs were very helpful and welcoming. There are clean toilets and a shower room. They invited me to camp, but it was too early.

The hills were not as bad as yesterday, but I could tell I didn't have umph. The legs just aren't there after so many continuous days in the saddle. My goal for now is Lewistown where my friend's sister will come to get me from FT. Benton, take me to her house for a lay up and feed, and then take me to Great Falls. Hopefully, I can catch up the journal using Wi-Fi.

Anyway, about 5 miles after leaving Sand Springs I met 3 cyclists heading East. It was fun, felt like a reunion though I'd never met them before and have already forgotten their names. One invited me to stay in his yard in Missoula. They told me in so many words not to stay in Mosby. The RV park was cluttered with junk, offered no shade, and the guy was a bit iffy. I've done this before and not been happy.

I made it to the rest area around 12:30 and hung out trying to see about getting a ride to Winnet where there was camping. At least a town. Jim and Nan pulled up in a nice van camper. Jim was originally from Chicago, so we got to talking and I broached the topic. They said yes. So they drove me the 22 miles.

We drove past it. Though Winnet is the county seat it is just a cluster of silos and tin buildings. It has a bar, post office, general store--camping is by the pool like in a yard. There is no toilet, no water, no showers. The pool guy said they closed the showers because of Covid. So no one showers before entering the pool. I'll do the night swim for $2. Clean up then. Steal water from a faucet by the pool. Power up devices as best I can at pool. Hmm no toilet, I'll have to make like a squirrel when no one is around.

Tomorrow hopefully, Lewistown.




Comments