Day 1, Aux Sable lockkeeper's house, near Morris, IL

Friday May 29, 2020, 20 miles (32 km) - Total so far: 20 miles (32 km)

I can't decide if I'm happy or sad. I'm here, late afternoon after only 20 miles relaxing with a tea, book, and this journal. Birds chirp in the treetops. In the distance I can hear water rushing through the Aux Sable access. It's good to be away and in nature.The I & M canal path was fairly busy. Also muddy, which slowed me down. The bike ran good, but I'm heavy. My gear including handlebar bag and water is 58 pounds. I'm carrying extra water as, for example, where I'm camping there is no water source. Tonight I stay in a three-sided hut, stealth camping.

I said goodbye to my friends and we cried a little. This will be my longest, farthest trip ever. On one hand, I've been wanting to do this cross-country trip since age 15. While here I am age 61 setting out to do it alone. I'm understandably nervous. I can get easily dehydrated, I know nothing about bike mechanics, there are crazy people out there, and right before leaving my dermatologist called to say the thing she removed last Friday was baby cancer. Of course, I asked her to explain. She said she thinks she got it all, we will see.

Sooo. I'm on the road. Overweight and hopefully not Covid, and hopefully cancer-free. I promised to wear my orange overshirt and sunscreen.

It will be hit or miss with Wi-Fi and charging devices until Bettandorf. Until then one day at a time.

I've started.


Comments