Day 23, Richardton to Medora

Saturday June 20, 2020, 64 miles (103 km) - Total so far: 1,287 miles (2,071 km)

It was so relaxing staying at the Abbey. I left after breakfasting with the monks. Last night I participated in Vespers. The place reminded me of home--except no women.

The mornings have been overcast and chilly. I forgot to take my sunscreen shower. The first miles were hard--1) leaving a secure place, 2) no watch, 3) and a sore on my bum. I made it to Dickinson, a substantial size town, where I bought an egg sandwich, a used watch from a thrift store, and moleskin at a pharmacy. I felt lucky to get these things.

It was 40 more miles to Medora. Winds were not ferocious but not exactly favorable. At times I struggled to make 9 miles an hour on flat ground. At Belfield I ate a snack and then got onto the highway. I wasn't looking forward to it, but it actually ended up faster. The hills were more gradual. I had a wide berm to myself. I just had to remind myself to relax. It was 18 miles to camping.

All day I'd been riding what they call the high plains. Rolling grasslands. Then suddenly I crested a hill and there were the Badlands. Despite being on the side of a highway, I snapped pictures. I was so excited. I couldn't wait to camp in them.

Medora is having cowboy musical days. The place reminded me of Moab, with cool-dude crowds buying ice cream and fancy coffees. The campground was packed. You know u r in trouble when they ask if u have a reservation. That would be no. Nor am I getting data. Hemmed in by Badlands. I walk out to tentville and ask a couple if I could double-up with them. Yes! It's far from the bathroom, but at least I can stay. Tomorrow, hopefully, Montana.

another example of a sign where the history needs to be revisited

and suddenly there were Badlands



at Medora Campground

views from the campground




Comments