Day 24, Medora to Glendive, MT

Sunday June 21, 2020, 65 miles (105 km) - Total so far: 1,352 miles (2,176 km)

4 States down, 4 to go

I feel quite accomplished, though I'm not resting on any laurels yet.

It really was nice of that couple last night to let me camp in their spot. The last few days I've been saving $$, so even while riding today I thought of getting a hotel.

A bit of a review of Medora Campground: (https://tinyurl.com/y23mt7qn) hello, if you are sold out, no vacancy, then have a crew restocking the restrooms. This a.m. the festering bathroom had no tissue. Each woman was taking her life into her hands reaching into the garbage to re-use TP. I know, gross, add on top of that Covid. Someone said it'd been like that all weekend.

I got started at 6. With Mountain Time, no need to pack up in the dark, already light by 4:30 a.m. I wanted to start early because of the highway. Also, being Sunday traffic should at least start light. The winds were calm and the gradients gentle. I didn't feel like I was pushing hard. The sky was overcast and temps were in the 60s.

It was about 26 miles to the state line. Then another 8 to Wibeaux, where I pulled off for the rest area. There I ate a big snack since I wasn't sure how many places down the road I could pull off, lean the bike, and have a break. The information lady at the information center at the rest area might have been struggling with Alzheimer's. She kept forgetting words and every question I asked about what to expect in Glendive she answered, oh, I don't know. Nevertheless when I left she said, stay safe, I'm going to be thinking about you. She sure was sweet.

Though there was 3 exits before Glendive, there were no services. I just kept going, the 30 miles to Glendive. It was tough at the end. But the road was not bad, almost flat. Winds picked up when it started raining, stopped by a guardrail to put on rain jacket.

I arrived at 2 pm and pulled into a cafe, busy because of Father's Day. I ordered the most caloric thing I could think of: a hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy. While eating a couple came in--he's biking and she's in a camper van. He said Montana is tough.** I felt like saying: it all is. I had no idea of camping options. At the diner the waitress said people don't really camp at the city park. I called the state park out of town, they had rustic tent sites 3 miles from water source on a windy road with 17% gradient. That would leave the KOA literally across the street from the cafe. Regardless of the price they were my last option. Except they hadn't turned on water. No bathrooms, no shower. I can't tell you what I'm thinking. Like how can you even begin to think that might work for someone arriving on a bike?

In addition several motels were CLOSED.

I'm loving the Yellowstone Inn. (https://tinyurl.com/y4kn374j) We're on the bank of the Yellowstone River. It was only $60 total with tax, GREAT shower with little soap amenities, which are starting to come in handy. The rooms have a fridge and microwave for reheating the food I couldn't finish. Comp coffee starting at 5 a.m. So I got my motel wish.

Tomorrow only about 50 miles are planned to Circle.

**he was riding with no bags, etc not sure what this portends for me, with bags/cargo.


Comments