Day 18, West Whitlock to Selby: On the road for 2 and a half weeks

Monday June 15, 2020, 45 miles (72 km) - Total so far: 1,005 miles (1,617 km)

So that was fun: I'm going to be in the local newspaper, the Selby Record.

First, the ride today was hard, but also least I could hang onto the bike. At no point did I feel the wind pushing me out of control. Leaving West Whitlock, hahaha, Kelly from the bar/bait shop arranged a ride for me. Thank goodness or I'd really be toast right now. He left me off by 212. Going east I had a bit of the wind helping, but once I turned north it was full at me, maybe 17-20, so not as high as some days. Also temps moderate with cloud cover. Even so, there were FEW places to stop for a break. About 20 miles in I had what I'm now calling a barn stop. It was 17 more miles before I saw another farm--close to the road and not far off in the distance. Mostly it is rolling grasslands, grass blowing in the wind--and the sudden clatter of quail rising up from the grass beside the road.

I made it to Selby right off the highway by about 3 pm (averaging about 8 miles an hour). Also the ACA directions take you into Akaska and onto gravel roads for 10 miles. I didn't want to do that because of being alone. The area would be remote, little traveled, also hot and hilly. I didn't want to be a corpse. I arrived in Selby right when it was truly heating up. I always question myself: should I try for more miles? You see, tomorrow the winds are predicted from sse, they will be more favorable for the direction I'm going. I'll have to be up and out early to beat the heat. The 40 miles north of Mobridge to Pollock are twisty and hilly. I want to have plenty of water when I leave Mobridge because not sure how many barn stops will be possible as I take 1804.

I'm camping at the city park, next to the swim pool that will charge me only a Dollar. There is water, electricity, and bathrooms.

So getting a few grocery items (stocking up in case I have to wild camp if I don't make it to Pollock) the grocery clerk asked about my trip. We chatted for a bit, then she said, you should go over to the Selby Record and tell them your story. I gave Karen a card for my blog at crazyguyonabike.com and she recorded me. She also snapped some "action" shots. Karen just bought the paper 2 weeks ago.

Tomorrow is going to be rough=heat, wind, terrain, send prayers and good vibes.

Comments