Day 10, Sloan to Elk Point, SD

Sunday June 7, 2020, 50 miles (80 km) - Total so far: 599 miles (964 km)

The wind is blowing so hard, it is like it is trying to break something. It doesn't stop, but is continuous, blowing and bending the trees.

So about the Sloan "campground". It was more for RVs for transient workers. The owner told me to set up on a grassless patch in his yard. I was right next to his AC unit, and RR tracks. But I could hear none of that over the road of the wind. There was also no where for me to go and hang out of the wind and sun. I wrote up my daily post at the Subway. It was a while for the sun to set, about 8:30 I went into the tent. My gauge said 90 degrees. I was melting even just laying in there. The wind shook the tent all night long.

I was up early. Right before leaving at 5:30 the owner poked his head out the door and asked for $$. He was bare chested and in his sleeping shorts. He only asked for $10.

I am now following the ACA directions. I made it to Sioux City at 25 miles. It was a little tricky. One, there were hills and two, there are a lot of highways to avoid and go under. Luckily it was early and a Sunday morning. I've had problems with either data or cell service or both. In SC I was able to get a signal so plotted a course to the riverfront.

Once in North Sioux City, I was in South Dakota!! I passed a bank readout that said 8:20 and 93 degrees. The heat and wind were not sustainable. So decided to stop in Elk Point, SD at a city park .I prayed it would be okay. Arrived at noon, unbelievably the wind was even stronger. I pulled under a shelter. Here there is plentry of cold water, shade, open bath house (always a concern now with Covid), and ELECTRICAL. The only thing is I don't want to set up my tent yet. So hanging at the shelter, clean and hydrated!

The wind tomorrow is the same 20-27 mph from the south, and temps only in the high 80s. I'll be up early to try and get to Lewis and Clark Recreational area.

*Loess Hills are the result of glacial deposits, silt and sand, blown by the wind, much like sand dunes. China has Loess deposits. So riding over them is like riding up and down Sleeping Bear Dunes.



tried to capture the red roadway, roads had a red cast to them

Comments