Day 12, Lewis and Clark Rec. Area to wild camp by the Missouri

Tuesday June 9, 2020, 49 miles (79 km) - Total so far: 716 miles (1,152 km)

Up till now I felt a little ridiculous carrying long johns and wool socks. Today, is one for the record books. Also a bit exciting.

Last night I fully expected it to rain. It thought I'd wake up to storms. But, no. I hadn't even bothered to set my alarm for 4:30, what I've been doing in order to hit the road before heat and wind. So at 5 a.m. realizing I might be able to get going and move on, I hustled to break camp. I had plenty of water, battery, and food. I almost made it to Springfield before dark skies made me look for cover. I pulled over at just the right place.

I parked next to an open garage and a cute doggie came out to greet me. Next I met Hardy, who owned the place. Immediately he got me a cup of coffee from his man cave and checked the weather. We reckoned I should hang for a bit, till one of the dark green area on his screen passed. He told me Lewis and Clark had actually camped on his property in September of 1804. A local historian had figured it out using journals etc.

As the storm rattled by into Nebraska I put on riding tights and my new rain jacket. Temps had begun to cool. The wind was maybe 20 mph. Which I now consider normal. After awhile Hardy said he had to go check some traps. A farmer near Springfield had called to say there were coons in them. So we loaded up my bike and he drove me there eclipsing 8 miles.

I kept going on route 37 my ACA directions had me looking for CR18 but as I went past a sign for Avon, I didn't realize I should have turned there, 312 Street. Again the wind pushed me south 3 miles before I checked my phone. I use phone directions as a back up if I lose track of the ACA ones. Of course I had to go back--into the wind.

By now it was almost noon, so I knew I should eat. The wind and spitting rain were terrible, but I thought someone is going to come by in a pickup and take me where I need to go. After that barn though where I ate lunch there was NOTHING. Hardy had mentioned there was little along the way except ranches and grassland. I rode and rode, and rode. There was maybe 2 cars in the opposite direction, but after 2 hours nothing going west. There was lots of bluegreen grass beneath the stormy overcast sky. To my right was the river, not always visible but there and to my left upsloped grassland.

The wind was absolutely brutal. In the distance I could see lightning and hear the rumble of thunder. I was maybe doing 6 mph.

At a bend off the road I saw a broken down shed. Beside that were the shelf-like boxes for bees. A little gravel road led back to it. Here, I thought. It was 1:44 and I'd been struggling and a pickup had finally come but passed me by when I waved my arm like an idiot to get him to stop. The sound of the wind is like waves beating the shore. As I set up in the shed the weather breaks down completely. It is gale force and sideways rain. I reckon it is at 30, gusting to 40. This has been the windiest bike trip ever, beating out Scotland.

I'm cozy in my tent, only wishing for a tea, but will have some with dinner. I have 2 full bottles, and 2 partials. So must mete out water on a need basis, until I get somewhere tomorrow.





loved the little window facing the north

Comments