Day 14, North Point to Snake Creek, via Burke: I'm back in the game

Thursday June 11, 2020, 77 miles (124 km) - Total so far: 821 miles (1,321 km)

Today: temps in low 80s, winds 9-13, nnw

In other words=do-able.

I haven't had a day like this on this trip until now. I was up and out early, as is my MO. I stopped again at Abby's Cafe where I bought a breakfast sandwich. The same waitress, the only waitress, possibly Abby herself, was there. She remembered me and we spoke some more. She is older and is in some ways inspired and also concerned for me.

I must come across like Rucksack Annie, the octogenarian who used to walk the Appalachian trail with a bag tied to the end of a stick. I roll in a bit discombobulated, harried, and slightly overweight. Not really the right material for what I'm proposing to do. Today I was especially nervous. There should be NO excuses for making miles.

My main concern was food, eating it and replenishing. I bought a breakfast sandwich at Abby's that lasted me literally 30 miles. I'd stop to eat some and keep going. In Bonesteel was a pretty decent grocery store. I feel like I have enough emergency food for at least 3 days. You see you never know if a town has food, gas station, or...an actual cafe.

It was a gradual, steady climb from Bonesteel to Burke. In Burke I was at 52 miles and it was 1:30, so lo and behold, there was a cafe. Calamity Jane's. I bought an ice cream and a cup of coffee and hung out, plugged in, and caught up my Memoirous blog. I loved this establishment, definitely stop there if going through Burke. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as good coffee and baked goods.

At 4 I got going, knowing it would take me 2 hours and 20 miles to Snake Creek. Before winding my way to Lucas and out to 1806, I met a young vibrant mom of 13 kids who was loading scrap into the bed of a pickup. She waved hi as I stopped quick to grab a snack from my handlebar bag. She walked up to the road with 3 of her kids to chat. Her name was Fawn. She told me that last year two cyclists from England slept behind a couple of their hay loaves.

I made it to Snake Creek before 6 pm, but only because the last 4 miles were stressful downhill, back to the Missouri and over a long bridge. I was afraid of truck traffic both ahead and behind, but there was a pause in that action, thankfully. This rec. area actually has non-electric, so a little cheaper, still $23. I steal the electric anyway.

I'm loving the grasshopper green grasslands, the sloping hills, and incredible blue sky. Also enjoying not fighting the wind and heat.



a reminder: I'm in South Dakota

most photographed barn in Herrick, SD
Don DeLillo
“We drove 22 miles into the country around Farmington. There were meadows and apple orchards. White fences trailed through the rolling fields. Soon the signs started appearing. THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN AMERICA."

from Wikipedia: Herrick Elevator is a grain elevator in Herrick, South Dakota. It was built in 1907, and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. The elevator was in service until 1998.[2] It has since been restored along with the attached shed that has been converted into lodgings.


Comments