Mother’s Day 2023

Whereupon, I accidentally leave my phone at work and have little to no contact with the outside world, still deciding if this was a good or bad thing.

Whereupon after getting home from work and trying to settle in for a weekend, or at least a Sunday where I’m not working at the shop, we immediately at my daughter’s house cut into a bakery cake and discover she is having a boy. Yes, two sons.

Whereupon, we cry. You see, we’d secretly been planning on a girl, knowing full-well the chances were 50/50. Even so, one can’t help wishing. Now that we have the fact before us, we embrace the news.

Whereupon, we decide we need to eat not just cake and order in a meal . . . to celebrate. Nevertheless, my blood sugar feels off the chart. I either need a nap or take a walk. I do both.

Whereupon, we wake up the next morning to Mother’s Day festivities of cards, brunch, coffee on the deck, more talk about what the household may look like with two kids, both boys.

Whereupon, we get in the car and goes to the park and chases each other and goes to see the geese on the pond and generally gets rambunctious before going home to take naps.

Later, whereupon, listening to the birds, letting my mind wander, I consider what it means to be part of a family.



Comments