These tired dark mornings

These tired dark mornings
remind me that summer is passing
so, too, the leaves, scattered on sidewalks
brushed up against the house, pooled under trees
something tells me, hurry.
I join the deer and squirrels in their frenzy
store up summer’s bounty, the sky’s colors
the contrail clouds, and all the bits and pieces
of forever, before it stops being forever.

This a.m. I awoke tired and sore. I painted the ceiling of the fabled Tiny House. I also bought a gallon of Arrowhead Lake, an icy blue color, for an accent wall. I’m taking cues from my son-in-law. Let me tell you how close I was to signing a contract for excavating to start a build-out for the bathroom. I had already taken a picture of the contract and was about to push the button to SEND, when my son-in-law said: Let’s think for a second.

And what we came up with sounded a lot like the idea I had back in April. In fact, the VERY SAME.

But, I understand. We pursued avenues that we came to find were not open to us. I can’t take back time or even regret (maybe a little) the months spent in getting quotes and trying to find contractors. It just wasn’t to be, at least for now. One thing I can say is this: No one wants to pick up a hammer for less than $75,000.

It’s been about a week since that fateful hold on the excavation and now we are already so much further on our own that we were then. Again, was it wrong to attempt the grander scheme? No, but at this point in the fall season we are scrambling to do a barn-raising before the snow flies.

Ceiling painted [x]
Composting toilet ordered [x]
HVAC contacted for mini-split install [x]

Check back for updates. We are the deer and squirrels dashing about, but, hopefully not running into the roads to get smooshed.



 

Comments

Sandy said…
Great progress! I will be excited to see final result.