The Joy is in the Journey

 This--a reprise from last Dec, 2020

NOW at Smashwords you too can learn how to write your flash memories:

Flash Memories: Writing Prompts to Get You Flashing is FREE to Download at Smashwords

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/725948

The Joy in the Journey

 I remember as a little kid waiting in line for Santa. This is one of my earliest memories so I was very young. I must have been told who Santa was and that he was responsible for bringing my presents. I understood I had a duty to tell him what I wanted. So we showed up at the department store and rode the elevator up. We got off into a cottony world of sparkly snowflakes. We wandered through colored lights and fabricated gumdrops. We winded through what looked like a workshop manned by elves with jingle hats and bells on their toes. It seemed to take forever. Finally we made it to a studio where there was a camera and helpers, and sitting on a throne was a fat man in a red suit with a fake beard. The Big Kahuna. The main event. Santa. 

I climbed aboard his lap and whispered what I wanted for Christmas and then it was over.

Leaving, I realized that all those places we walked through, Winter Wonderland, Elf Workshop, Santa World was all part of the experience and I had missed it by only focusing on the one minute I got with Santa.

I’m trying in this time of transition to not miss the lesson, to not lose track of the bigger picture. To have joy in the journey.





Comments